Friday, July 22, 2011

The Garden


 
  I have farming roots.... My mom grew up in Kansas... Her dad was a farmer... I must have the ability to grow a vegetable garden.

Right?

We have a teeny, tiny little back yard and the ground was as hard as ROCK.  Bruce had to water, and water, and water some more before the rototiller would even turn.  He worked really hard to get us to this point.  So last Saturday we went to Home Depot (love that store) bought a bunch of plants, seeds, soil (organic-no less?) and came home ready to farm the land. 

Obviously we are late in the season to plant a garden but we are counting on a late summer.  We figured it didn't really matter how successful we were this first year but it would be fun trying.  There is something pretty satisfying about getting your hands dirty and thinking about what could possibly grow...
Working in our teeny-tiny garden made me think about the hard work of my grandparents who farmed in Kansas.  They were so poor that they didn't even own their own horse to pull the plow.  They had to borrow his brother's horse and so they had to work extra early in the morning so the brother had his horse to work his land.  No wonder my grandma always woke up so early....
So we worked together in the sun and planted seeds (carrots, green beans, pumpkin, sunflowers) and of course; put some plants that Home Depot grew for me.  I even have a section of herbs and believe it or not, I've gone out and cut some orregano to use for cooking.  Bruce was a little surprised that I knew what to do with fresh orregano...

So exactly one week from our planting day these cute little plants have popped through the soil.  I have to say I was a little shocked and pretty proud...

More to follow....
p.s.  NEWS FLASH- My sunflowers are popping up too!  They are the smaller dwarf sunflowers which I love!


No comments:

Post a Comment